CSols Remote Sampler Questions & Answers (Q&As)
The following commonly asked Q&As have been added below to help aid understanding of the capabilities of the Remote Sampler System.
Remote Sample Mobile Software
- Is data validated when entered by the Water Samplers onto the handheld device?
All data can be validated on entry. This is configurable.
- Can calculations be used on the Device?
Yes – all calculations and rounding are automatic and configurable.
- Can the system be used for clean and waste water sampling?
Yes – The process will work across both clean and waste sampling. The System will readily handle all sampling activities carried out by the Sampling Teams. This can exceed 100’s of thousands of sampling events across both clean and waste water sampling teams. The System is readily scalable to cope with any data storage requirements.
- What Operating System(s) does the system handheld device run on?
The handheld devices run the Microsoft® Windows 7 Operating System and so will allow other Windows Compliant software applications to be run alongside Remote Sampler.
- What database does the Remote Sampler System use?
Remote Sampler runs on Microsoft® SQL Server.
- Can the remote device be used to take photographs with GPS, User, Date and Time stamps?
Yes – The system can capture photographs and electronically return them with GPS, User, Date and Time Stamps eg for ‘no flow events’ and positive identification sampling points for regulatory purposes.
CSols Remote Sample Hub Software
- Will we need to use paper worksheets any longer? Can we allocate and reallocate collection runs and samples?
The Remote Sampler system allows for full paperless operation. Collection Runs can be automatically sent to the device or can be sent / modified by the Sampling Managers. The system permits authorized remote reallocation of collection runs / samples between devices and Water Samplers. The system also enables unassigned, ‘in jeopardy’ samples to be reallocated to a device/Water Samplers . Electronic worksheets can also be redesigned when regulatory requirements change.
- Can non LIMS questions and data items be configured on the remote devices for use by water samplers?
Yes – for example this could include risk assessment, alternative address lookup, vehicle logs, instrument calibration and test data such as Fridges, Colorimeters, pH meters, Thermometers etc.
- Does the system support ad-hoc sampling?
Yes – The system supports ad-hoc sampling – any such sample information and data being recorded and transmitted to LIMS. The system also allows for the automatic registration of ad-hoc samples into LIMS.
- Does the System cope with Holidays when scheduling work/collection runs?
Yes – The system will allow for the recording of holidays such that work is not allocated to Water Samplers who are not available to conduct sampling at that time.
System & IT
- Can Management metrics / reports be configured for use with the system?
Yes – The system stores all available data items such that a variety of reports could be later configured. This could include water sampler metrics reports such as the number of samples collected during a given time period, number of samples recorded in LIMS for a given time period, start and end time of collection time. It may also include miles driven during associated time periods.
- Could we reduce the level of IS/IT support required for implementation and support of the System?
Yes – CSols could host and support the System on remote Citrix Server(s). The only internal IS/IT requirement would then be to maintain and support a secure link to LIMS via a CSols secure, bi-directional LIMS Driver.
- What Support Services are available?
The system will be fully supported by CSols (hardware and software) and is adaptable (normally via configuration but with code changes if necessary).
Remote Sampler Benefits – General
There will considerable benefits from implementing a Remote Sampler system. Overall the sampling process will be :
- Faster at collecting the number of samples at the current levels
- More efficient by making better use of the available resources
- Easy to use by removing the administration burden of the Water Quality Samplers and so improve their working day/work experience
- More flexible allowing an improved reaction to emergencies and resource changes
- Fully auditable incorporating an intrinsic and extensive custody trail
- Able to leverage benefits to other parts of the organisation such as the laboratory, customer services and water operations
Remote Sampler Benefits – Scheduling
Flexibility to override and interact with the pre-planned schedule from the Water Quality Manager both prior to transfer as well after the transfer of collection runs to the Water Samplers to account for daily variations in resources and priorities
- Significant improvement in vertical audit, traceability, chain of custody and compliance with regulations as all the actions of the Water Quality Sampler will be provided through barcode reading or direct keyboard and automatically be given a date/time stamp and GPS location
- Improved consistency in sampling and field data recording as all the Water Quality Samplers will be guided by the Remote Sampler mobile software thereby ensuring regulatory requirements are met.
- Easier comparisons can be made across sampling routes and data quality will improve. e.g. The system can force a configurable timer to be activated during e.g. flush periods or ‘double disinfection’ time periods before samples can be collected.
- Wider scope of data collection to include photographs and signatures to increase range of information that can be passed to the organisation
- Ability to register non-scheduled samples required for pipe bursts or spills that are not scheduled
Remote Sampler Benefits – Data Transfer & Transcription
- Immediate logging of sample collection to HQ so that electronic LIMS registration and other data transfer can occur at, or close to the physical sampling event, to help provide the opportunity for dynamic corrective action for more flexible working for example addition of new collection, reroute Water Quality Samplers, etc.
- Significant Reduction in data errors through elimination of transcription errors caused by the current paper recording system with terminal data entry.
- Time saving of up to 90 minutes per Water Sampler per day, as there will be no need for them to enter their data manually back into LIMS.
- Cost and time reduction during day to day management and use of the current paper sheets such as printing, distribution, storage and subsequent retrieval from archive. In addition time saving as no sheets can get lost or damaged nor have to redesigned and distributed.
- Much easier to train new starters – system guides Water Samplers throughout the sampling life-cycle.
- Improved data security as all the data and audit trail is backed up in multiple places on the handheld device and in the hub database.
- Immediate measures of collection efficiency to help pick up potential issues quickly and to better manage the Water Quality Sampler teams across the region.
- Immediate communication of customer observations back to Customer Services Team to reduce internal overhead and faster customer response to improve service levels.
- Immediate communication of field measurements to operational units to improve the management of assets not linked via real time telemetry systems.
CSols Ltd. The Heath, Runcorn, Cheshire, WA7 4QX, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1928 513535 Fax: +44 (0) 7006 061 106
Copyright © 2000 – 2014 CSols Ltd. All Rights Reserved